Celtic Cable

Celtic Cable

Guest Book

Guestbook

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Oh, Enough Already!

First the tornado ... then the earthquake ... then the hurricane ... now flooding! Enough already! I'm not sure if fire is next, or hordes of locusts.

The Patapsco River, normally no more than a few inches deep, is now -- thanks to Hurricane Irene and Tropical Storm Lee -- really, really, out of control. Here's a link to some pictures, courtesy of the Catonsville Patch.  I don't live in Catonsville, but I live in a neighborhood adjacent to the Patapsco River. I'm safe at home, high up on a hill. Getting home from work is a bit difficult, though. I can't take the back roads anymore. Oh, for a return of sunshine and normalcy!

Okay, enough gripedy-griping. My WIPS are not much bigger than last time! I dropped everything to finish the baby sweater, then to start a new project. First, the old:

I really like my Kool-Aid blankie. I only have about 1,000 yards of yarn left, so it won't be much bigger than this ;-)

It's going to keep me so cozy-warm this winter! I have to keep the cats off it. They love to lie on my lap when I have anything knitted on it. But they have sharp little claws, too.

Socks ... the perpetual socks. The cuff I chose wasn't tight enough, so I had to add ribbing at the top. One day ... I'll finish them. They might go up over my knees, but I'll finish them.


And, a new WIP. It's hard to tell, but they're warm footie slipper sock thingies. And they're destined for a gift basket I'm going to put together for a drawing. This post now is my 93rd post ... my blogiversary passed back in July, so I thought I would wait and celebrate my 100th post by having a drawing and a giveaway. These footie slipper sock thingies are from the Luxury Yarn One-Skein Wonder book ... page 211, Llama Wool Slipper Socks. Wow, Llama! How Lluxurious!

Actually, these are BFL. I didn't have any Llama Llaying around. I did have this fabulous BFL I spun back in March. I bought it from skeinwinder123 on Etsy. It's a fabulous colorway, gold and green and wheat. It's called Golden Harvest. When I was spinning it, I thought it looked like Saturn, the colorized photos I've seen of it.

Anyway, the footie slipper sock thingies will be part of a giveaway. I'll draw names. In the interest of fairness, my two close friends here in the Baltimore region will be excluded from the drawing -- sorry! -- but if they're seriously miffed, I'll knit them a pair of footie sock slipper things, too.

Happy Fiber Arts Friday! Hopefully next time I post, it will be dry and sunny and not all apocalyptically flooded or shaken or blown or whirled.

11 comments:

  1. ooooh, I love BFL! I really love that you are calling the project the footy sock slipper things ;-) I've been thinking about you with all of the weather issues going on. Keep safe, my friend. Loving the blanket. The colors are rockstar and it will be a great treat to warm up in this Winter. Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blanket is cozy and colorful, I love it! I'm excited for the give away, as I have long admired your knitted socks. :o) Congratulations in advance for your 100th post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear about all the natural disasters and the impact. I've heard quite a few people wishing they could ship the extra water to Texas to put out the fires! There seems to be so much going on right now. Please keep safe.

    Golden Harvest is a great name for the socks. They look deliciously comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's hoping you are done with all the disasters and thank goodness you are on a high hill.

    Your blanket looks wonderfully soft and comfy. I've just started spinning with BFL and have fallen in love with it.

    Happy Fiber Arts Friday!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love BFL after alpaca of course! Your quilt is awesome. I love the funky colors. I also like the name of your socks. Perfect. Just in time for apple picking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been thinking of starting a blog just to complain about the weather, and we completely missed out on Hurricane Irene (but did have a major cicada year, which is close enough to locusts for me!). I hope things dry up soon for your area -- we lived in Baltimore years ago and it is still one of my favorite places. Your projects are beautiful (as always). Good luck getting those socks into the Finished column.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blanket looks oh-so-toasty and your socks are beautiful. I hope that your weather gets back to something near normal soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like how the blocks on your blanket change orientation.

    People are always saying how much they love working with BFL. I'm gonna have to get me some. Perhaps is pre-spun and assembled sock form is the way to go. ;-)

    I hope that you are soon complaining becuase the weather is soooo boring.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your Kool-Aid blanket!! My kids totally want one now :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!