Celtic Cable

Celtic Cable

Guest Book

Guestbook

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Finished Socks!

I seem to have gone from an anklet craze to a sock craze ... finished the red Butterfly Garden Socks:






I actually went out yesterday looking for a pair of shoes that would best show these lovelies off, but -- as usual -- none of the shoe stores had any cute shoes in a wide width, so I wound up where I always wind up after a trip to the shoe store. Drowning my sorrows in the yarn aisle, cursing the idiot shoe designers who discriminate against women with curvy feet.

The butterfly turned out great:

The first picture is the true color of the socks. The picot edging isn't very smooth, but the butterfly is so pretty it doesn't matter. The motif is front and back.

I immediately cast on another pair of socks, from "Think Outside the Sox." These are the Button-up Socks. The top part wraps around the leg, so I'm knitting flat. And I get to go to Joanne's and pick out some pretty buttons, which always makes me happy.

I got some new alpaca from Wonder Why Girl, for the Tour de Fleece, for Team of Wonder. It's for the TOUR De FLEECE. Honestly. I won't touch it until 2 July ... it's for the TdF,  I tell you!












Everything else has been gardening, and wow is it going well! As usual, I made myself the same promise I make every blasted year. I WILL keep the tomatoes in check. I will keep them trimmed, caged, separated, and they will not take over the garden like every other year.

Yeah. And I won't touch the Wonder Alpaca until 2 July, either.

These are only TWO tomato plants, a Juliet and a Sweet 100s. You can see a 12" fence panel at the bottom of the photo, for scale. It's black wire. See it under there? I'm 5'6, and these plants are at least 5' tall.






Between the hot spells, my generous watering habits, and the warm nights, the plants just seem to double  in size every few days!

These are Gretel eggplant, or Little Fingers. Three of them formed, and dozens more blooms.


8-Ball squash. For dinner tomorrow, in a Mediterranean style pasta, with feta, olives, basil, and whatever else I throw in.

And the melon, which I wasn't sure was a melon, but now I am pretty sure it is. The heirloom tomato and two squash plants are sort of shading it, but I think it will be okay. It's got lots of blooms on it.

The heirloom tomato in the back left isn't looking good. The leaves are all curled and I don't know what's wrong. I hope I don't have to pull it up, but if I do, I am sure I'll have enough tomatoes without it. I just hate to lose plants.

Have a great week, everyone!

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE what you are spinning with your TdF fiber...tehehehe, well you know I have more if you need it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Socks are looking great. I am onyl managing to resist my tour fleece by having some knitting I want to finish before the tour

    ReplyDelete
  3. socks look great....and your garden looks amazing!!!!!!..i have an egg plant, we have no blooms yet though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it when the garden begins to burst. I'm feeling like mine finally has some bursting potential. lol.

    The socks are great and of course the white WWAF roving is too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those socks rock! Love the butterfly on them.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!