Celtic Cable

Celtic Cable

Guest Book

Guestbook

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Inside-Out Fair Isle is Just Wrong.

Remember this from last week or whenever that was? Well, I no longer think it was a mistake. I was at Road Runner's running store buying winter running tights and I saw a rack of hats just like this. I turned them inside out and there it was ... lovely Fair Isle stitch, on the inside of the hat. Just like this dress, it had big ol' ugly seams that made it impossible to wear it properly. Now I ask you, what *possible* reason did some asinine "designer" come up with to explain why you would do something like this?! Fair Isle deserves to be seen, on the correct side, not with the butt-ugly backside showing!

To quote Mr. Kurtz' dying words from Joseph Conrad's "Heart of Darkness:"
"The horror! The horror!" 

I wish that we could all come together and mercilessly pummel this brain-dead designer with the knitting implement of our choice. My weapon ... my size 15US knitting needles. 

In other news, I have two WIPs going on, not counting the two that are in time-out.
The Raspberry Dream Stole by designer Dagmara, whom I don't know but I am SURE would NEVER design something to be inside out...

And the cowl-I-thought-was-a-hat that I first saw at babajeza's website, which is from Freshstitch.





Although I think I'm actually going to make this a stocking cap. But I will retain the color combination scheme.

Edgar, Edgar, Edgar.




In other news, I took the pup for a walk in Centennial Park on a beautiful autumn day.









Don't forget to stop by Tamis Amis for Work in Progress Wednesday!



Oh, and I had a great time at the Halloween 5k this past Friday. It was 3.3 miles, which I completed in 34 minutes (a record for me). And despite the rain, a lot of people were out there and spirits were high! I was one of three Wonder Women!

12 comments:

  1. I agree. WHAT were they thinking!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. People are nuts. Can't wait to see your finished objects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen!! I so detest the wrong side of knitting. I am definitely not a purl side showing kind of person. I even change a lot of Rev St st to seed st or another pattern in the dead space of cable patterns. Give me the smooth knit side, especially with Fair Isle of stranding!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally agree - I could never put the inside out on a sweater like that!!!
    Great colour on your stole.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so strange! Can't wait to see how your projects turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vogue Knitting just had an article on "reversible" fair-isle knitting. Made me seriously question whether they're knitting with a full skein of yarn. Love you're Raspberry Dream Stole. (I also have to admit I love to find out I'm not the only one who puts projects in time-outs when they misbehave.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I appreciate the art of keeping the back of fair isle neat and tidy, but I find the idea of putting it on the outside and the front inside really strange. But then I also don't like the back of stockinette stitch, or even garter stitch that much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your WIPs are nice. Inside-outside. Makes no sense at all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think both sides are lovely.

    Congrats on your 5k.

    Here's my WIP: http://mibruno.com/en-proceso-113/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on the great 5K time. I'm doing my first one in several years. Wish me luck.

    Thanks for the kind words about my wingspan.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Why do some people always feel they need to reinvent things that are working perfectly fine the way they are?

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh inside out fairisle is sooo wrong. I agree.
    I love your Edgar egdar edgar

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!