Yes, I know -- 2013 was going to be the year of the destash. No new yarn. Use what I have. Be strong! Be firm!
Yeah, that lasted till March. At least it was late March. A co-worker and his wife are expecting their first baby, and it's a girl. I have been wanting to knit a bunting every since the terrible Failed Bunting Experience of 2011. So I searched all through the Ravelry archives till I found this free Shell Bunting pattern.
I didn't have 880 yards of any one type of yarn, so I waited till they knew the gender -- a girl -- and went to the yarn store to get some pink Cascade 220. I had super-wash in mind, but they had no pink on hand. Luckily, as it turned out. The day after ordering four skeins of a pretty bold pink, I overheard father-to-be saying his wife had stated emphatically that she wanted purple baby stuff, no pink! I changed the order before it went through, luckily. It is a very simple pattern. I hope I don't mess it up.
And in other news ... again, don't judge me...
I've taken up the Gail Nightsongs project again. For the fourth time. This poor Manos del Uruguay yarn is getting frayed.
Smaller needles, and with about 20 stitch markers to delineate the leafs. Every time I start the row with the new leaves, I add four more stitch markers. I don't want to think how many I'll be up to by row 7. In any case, so far I've only had to tink once. There's one row where the stems and leaves both have nine stitches, and I got a little confused. I only had to go back three rows, but it had to be tinked, not frogged, in order to preserve the YOs.
Normally, I'm not a glutton for punishment ... but 1,460 people have successfully made this shawl. I am determined to be one of them.
Hopefully the smaller needles won't make the pattern hard to see ... I sure hope I can do it this time.
Don't forget to stop by Tamis Amis for Work-in-Progress Wednesday!