Celtic Cable

Celtic Cable

Guest Book

Guestbook

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Cabling Along in August ...

Ahhh, August. I can see Autumn from here!

I've been working diligently on the cabled item and have finished the back.

 

It's got an 8-row repeat that is fairly easy to memorize. I only have to look at the chart for the middle cable. 

A few years ago, I got into Kool-Aid dyeing. I made several skeins on the stovetop from Lion Brand wool. I used some up on socks and hats, and the rest got tucked away. I decided I wanted to use them all up on one big project. Here is the start of it: 


It's the half-double crochet stitch ... I think. Between single and double crochet. It's my favorite crochet stitch, not too tight like single, but not too open like double. I'm going to make a patchwork-y afghan, with alternating squares of colors. The squares are 31 stitches long by 31 rows, and it's a J hook. I didn't want it to be too dense. I think this will use up all the Kool-Aid yarn. To be safe, I ordered four more bare yarn hanks from Knit Picks. 

Yes, I know it's useless to try to "use up" something if I'm just going to keep ordering more of it! There should be enough warm days to sun-dye more yarn, in any case. I really enjoy doing it that way. No watching it to make sure it doesn't boil, no heating up the house, no worries about having to hover around the stove. Just pop it in the sun tea jar and set it out.
I have been a bit more creative this time around with the Kool-Aid colors ... this is 2 lemon-lime, 1 lemonade, and a cherry swirled through the water to make streaks. Or was it orange? I don't recall. 

That is it for today. Happy Fiber Arts Friday, everyone!




9 comments:

  1. Beautiful cables! That is really an eye-catcher! That shade of blue is so soft and pretty.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your kool-aid colors are great. When I tried it, they were super light. Maybe I should have mixed up the packets a bit more.

    Love the cats at play.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love dyeing yarn with kool aid, not only are the colours fab, but it smells so good when you work with it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love, love, love the cables! Kool Aid dyeing is great. If you have any Latin grocery stores in your area, they often have other flavors (colors) than they carry in the mainstream grocery stores.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely cables! I'm still intimidated by them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK, I'll bite. Have never actually made anything with a half double crochet, but will give it a whirl on your recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your cables are gorgeous, really impressive! Your kit-cats look like they are having a playful moment, very sweet. I have a calico too.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!