Celtic Cable

Celtic Cable

Guest Book

Guestbook

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

My First Earthquake!

Yay! My first earthquake! It was exciting. I was at work, on the 4th floor of an 8-floor building, and everything shook a little. Everyone stood up and did the prairie-dog-over-the-cubicles thing, and then it shook harder. It only lasted a few seconds, but for someone who has never felt one before, it was scary! My legs were shaking, and I couldn't tell if it was still the earthquake, or if it was just me. The co-worker closest to me was just as unnerved, and we got our purses and bags together and prepared to flee. We weren't able to go right away, but it did shorten the workday. Cell phone service was down, and it took a while before I could get through to a neighbor and ask her to check on my house. I got home a couple hours after the quake. One cat was so seriously freaked out that she wouldn't even come out to eat. I had books on the floor, small things knocked over -- lotion bottles, lava lamp, etc. A knife block on the stove was knocked over, so the stove shook really hard. It's a gas stove. Yikes! I think it was worse here than at work. Another co-worker was in the elevator when it happened, and she said it was terrifying. They thought it was the elevator about to plummet.

Anyway, that was my excitement! So I've been through a tropical storm, a tornado within a hundred yards of my house, and now an earthquake. 

Oh -- here are some WIPs for Wednesday.


I just adore this little sweater. It is so much fun to knit, and so quick. I have the other arm and the neck to do still. It's meant to be a 6 - 9 month size, but I think it skews closer to 12 months. I used the exact yarn the pattern called for, and the exact needles. Since I did that, I guess I didn't feel it necessary to do a gauge swatch. Ah, me. Oh well -- too big is far better than too small! 

8 comments:

  1. The sweater is adorable and the blanket is coming along nicely. Earthquake? I've been told I should have felt one but didn't. Yikes...I don't think I want to either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, we were supposed to feel the one in Colorado last night but didn't either.

    I was in 2 earthquakes when I lived in LA and could not wait to move after the first one. Yikes. No fun at all.

    Glad everyone is ok, if only a little freaked out.

    The sweater and blanket are looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We felt it here in Upstate,NY also! I thought It was just me thinking everything was shaking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your WIPs are coming along great! I'm glad you weren't hurt and didn't have any serious damage in the earthquake. I was in one a few years ago, not even as strong as the one you felt, and I'm still freaked out about it! I think part of the reason is that I woke up to it in the middle of the night, so I had no idea what was going on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We used to get small earthquakes in Rochester, NY. It really didn't do anymore than rattle dishes in the cupboard.

    Love the sweater. Yes, too big is better than too small where children are concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the sweater!! Beautiful colors on the blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cables on that sweater are gorgeous :) And you're right, too big is better, because it can be grown into!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never felt an earthquake, think I'd be terrified!
    the sweater is fab. Am a bit worried mine will be too small so big is definitely good.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!