Celtic Cable

Celtic Cable

Guest Book

Guestbook

Friday, August 26, 2011

Hurricane Watch

I really don't like hurricanes. No one does, I know, but now I'm in the path of one, and my dislike has increased tenfold. Go away, Irene! Go out to sea! Head up to the hurricane graveyard in the North Atlantic, and leave us nice people alone!

I don't expect Irene will be a hurricane when it hits my area, but you never know. The Chesapeake bay water temperature is 74.5. It's in the 80s along the Virginia coast. I'm hoping the cooler water will shrink that $&^$* down to a mild TS or TD. We're used to severe thunderstorms and gusty winds. Heck, just five weeks ago or so a tornado formed about 100 yards from my house and ripped off the roof of a house in the next court.

There are a lot of stray kitties I take care of, and I have a lot of potted and hanging plants outside, so I will be spending tomorrow securing my property and preparing shelter for the kitties. My animals already seem a little uneasy. I'm still hoping and praying it will diminish or turn east into the open ocean. I'm located in southern Baltimore County, so if you hear anything dire about that area, pray for us. I know if the power goes out I can knit ... but you can only do so much by candle.

So, on to the knitting ... I have a finished object for friday, the baby Fisherman Sweater. I made this in just under four weeks, and it was a fast knit. I didn't get the collar right, even though I re-sewed it twice ... perhaps I just didn't make it long enough.  










It's the same front and back, and the whole thing is either seed stitch or cable, so you can imagine how heavy it is! It will keep baby very warm, I'm sure. For the one winter he fits into it!

Good luck to all of you in the hurricane path.

11 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about hurricanes. I grew up on the peninsula in southern VA and went through a few of them. Gloria was the biggest of my childhood. Stay safe. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep safe. I am keeping all of my fiber arts and alpaca friends in my thoughts as you brace for the big storm.

    That sweater is adorable. The recipient and his mother will totally happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you will be safe, hurricanes are scary! This sweater is absolutely beautiful, I love the collar, I think it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love that sweater, i would wear it if it came in m size :D

    hope you and the kitties make it through Irene unscathed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The sweater looks great, Good luck and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck and stay safe, hopefully Irene will take a different path and get smaller!

    Love the sweater - so much detail, it looks really impressive

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adorable sweater! I love the cabling. Irene is causing tropical storm winds for me here in inland NC - fingers crossed that she weakens soon! Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I love a good fisherman's sweater. Nice Job! :-)

    Stay safe and dry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now I get to hope for a heavy snowy winter to use this :) Lovely job! Thank you (again and as ever) for sharing your talent this way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is totally worth it, because it will be his most fashionable winter ever! I hope you don't get much impact from the Hurricane.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the sweater. I'm sure it'll definitely be warm! I

    hope you're safe from the hurricane - it didn't hit me in Connecticut too hard, so I hope you and the kitties had the same luck!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!