Celtic Cable

Celtic Cable

Guest Book

Guestbook

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

What a Kool Way to Dye!

 



A thread on Ravelry's "What a Kool Way to Dye" group caught my attention ... so out came the Kool-Aid, tea jug, and KnitPicks Bare Yarn.

Above is 2 packets cherry, one packet grape, one packet lemonade. Left is three packets berry blue and one packet grape.

The 90+ degree sunny days this week made it a perfect time to solar dye!
Ta-da! And they smell delicious. 


In other news, for WIP Wednesday ...



Some WIPS.... I'm not saying what the blue is yet, because I might become too daunted by the pattern to finish. The others are socks, with my new Knit Picks yarn. They aren't striping equally, but I've found that I don't mind if the patterns don't exactly match.


And here I have a birthday present from a crafty friend ...a teacup bird feeder! It's on a 5' pole in the middle of my tomato plants. So far the birds haven't seen it, but the ants and wasps have!


Happy August, everyone! And happy birthday to all my fellow Leos!

19 comments:

  1. Beautiful Kool colors!! And the scent, like the old scratch and sniff...but the scent does fade. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kool Aid always gives beautiful soft colors...plus it smells good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your socks are looking great, I love the yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Kool Aid dyeing, the colours and the smell are just so good :) Love the mixes you made

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those colours look very awesome, would love to see some WIPs in those. The bird-feeder is very very cute and the Knit-picks sock are very bright and pretty. Hopefully you manage to master the pattern for the blue because I love that shade.

    Good luck and good dyeing all around.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yup, it sure is hot enough to dye yarn that way, fun too. Your bird feeder to to cool, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hadn't even thought about that Kool Aid would also make it smell good :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a lace fichu I need to over dye, maybe this is the way to go? Love the bird feeder.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What beautiful colors! I have some yarn that I'll eventually dye. It's so nice to see other people have such successful results.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the way you have dyed and wish it was warm enough here to do it that way. The colours have come out great :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that is kool! I love the color of the socks you're knitting. I don't mind so much if my socks don't exactly match in color, either.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! Yes, Random Thoughts is mostly cross-stitch with some specialty stitches...fewer than I originally thought. I get bored making scattered motifs if they're all plain XS!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We've done Kool-aid dyeing inside, but never solar-powered. You made awesome colors! It's just more fun to knit with yarn that you dyed yourself.

    I love that bird feeder -- what a clever idea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks fun. I've only done Kool-Aid dyeing in the microwave.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What fun Kool-Aid colors! I especially like the blue. The socks are looking great. I kind of enjoy the slightly mismatched look of hand knitted socks. What a charming bird feeder, too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. oHH kool aid dyeing is another thing I want to try!

    Cute bird feeder!

    Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the Kool Aid dyeing,but I have not tried it in the sun...yet. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great idea! I've been dyeing to try dyeing, but haven't really had a chance yet. The solar dyeing seems so easy and contained!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your dyed yarn is beautiful! How fun! Can't wait to see what the blue project becomes.

    Adorable bird feeder!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely colours, solar dyeing is a great idea

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!