Celtic Cable

Celtic Cable

Guest Book

Guestbook

Saturday, December 4, 2010

A Good Day to Dye





    
     When I first started to dye yarn, I was enamored by Kool-aid dyeing. I went to my local Joanne's Fabric store (Joanne's will always be my favorite craft store) and bought out all of their white Lion Brand wool and dyed until I ran out of Kool-aid. After a while, I started buying Jacquard Acid Dye. I used my soup pot for a dyeing kettle, so now I don't have a pot for soup anymore, but I have lots of pretty yarn!

     The measuring cup holding six tablespoons of white vinegar, if you're wondering. It's the mordant (makes the color bind to the fiber).

      Anyway, some time ago, I bought a few skeins of KnitPicks Bare Yarn and tossed it in a drawer until inspiration struck. I can't really say that inspiration has struck, but it's cold outside and I still haven't turned on my furnace, so I figured I'd warm up the house a bit by simmering some yarn soup.




The color is "Chestnut." The tutorial for the process can be found here.











     It's now simmering, and the house is starting to smell of wet wool. One of the cats seems to be searching the kitchen for sheep.

  
  Not this cat, though. Does she really think she's hiding? Maybe she's doesn't know how big her butt has gotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!